Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb steering wheels...

im a kinda big guy and my javelin's steering column doesnt exactly fit me. ive heard of a tilt wheel. is that what i think it is? would that solve my problem? thanx

Thumbs up AMC Tilt Wheels

I am not that big, however I recently converted my AMX to that of a tilt wheel column. The problem that I had was that I was using a non stock AMC Sport Steering Wheel and it's a little smaller than the stock wheel that came on the car. The rim of the steering wheel itself interferes with reading the dash gauges. The solution was installing a tilt wheel column and seems to cure the problem. The column has about 6 different positions up and down and should accept any size girth that you may be. I know that on my 71 Javelin which already had tilt column, my father was rather big (54 inch waist size) and had no problems driving the car with the column tilted somewhat up to fit his rather large size. I forsee no problems if you want to convert over to a tilt column for your car. Just make sure that what you buy will fit the car.

luckily im only a 36' waist lol. i read somewhere that most steering columns of the day would fit, i saw a decently priced camaro one that caught my eye, do you know anything about this?

Red face GM Syle columns

I do not know much about whether GM Tilt columns will fit or not, so the info that I have is somewhat second hand.
    The column should be okay, however from what I have been told, there maybe so modification needed to have the column fit properly. There may be some cutting of the main shaft that is required. What I would do is measure the lenght of the column with a tape measure and compare that with the lenght of the original column out of the car. This should give you a better idea whether nor not the column will fit. I know that there is people within forum that could give you a more definite answer than I can, so wait and see what happens I guess.

I have heard the same, that you will have to do a lot to get them to work.

Smile hmm i guess so..

im sure this info will help. my father is a wizard at mechanics. his motto is measure three times, smoke a cigarette whilst staring at it, measure it twice more then cut.

luckily im not in the steering column phase of my car yet. technically we're still in the tear down. ive read hundreds of articles and 12 books about muscle car restoration and they all say "start with a plan", thats what im trying to do.

if anyone who reads this lives in ohio and wants to stop by and check it out or maybe even help email me fatskater1666@gmail.com -my name is zach

Smile Yes Siree

Quote Originally Posted by sstlover666
    im sure this info will help. my father is a wizard at mechanics. his motto is measure three times, smoke a cigarette whilst staring at it, measure it twice more then cut.

luckily im not in the steering column phase of my car yet. technically we're still in the tear down. ive read hundreds of articles and 12 books about muscle car restoration and they all say "start with a plan", thats what im trying to do.

if anyone who reads this lives in ohio and wants to stop by and check it out or maybe even help email me fatskater1666@gmail.com -my name is zach
    My, My, and you hit upon an idea of sorts. Not only do I smoke a cigarette, but I also have a beer or two. That way, if it ends up screwed up, I'll drink another beer or two and try to figure it out. For me, it's the wiring. Kind of hard for me since I am color blind. Thankfully I have friends around who can help me, but there are times that I do not have anyone around. I couldn't count the number of times that I have blown fuses because I had the wrong wire.

the prospect of wiring scares me $hitless. im about to pull my engine and there are unmarked wires running to unmarked boxes all over the place and im kinda afraid. is there some kind of guide out there that i can purchase?

The Technical Service Manual has a wiring diagram. It'll help you sort it all out. I highly recommend getting one. Some of them are being reproduced now which makes them a lot easier to find. What year is your car?

10. Default

69 amc javelin sst with a 290 and automatic transmission.