Exclamation recomended upgrades?

hey i have a 69 javelin sst with a 290. ive already acquired a 360 from a old jeep and i am planning on getting it rebuilt. my father and i are doing a complete overhaul of this little rusty old amc. does anyone know any sites that have good performance upgrades for javelins? or can anyone suggest what i should invest my time/money in? thnx

Thumbs up Go Bigger

Only a suggestion, if you could find a 390 or 401 go for it. In the long run you would be happier. The cost of re-building a 401 is about the same as the 360. Also update to the dog leg heads and exhaust manifolds if possible. Try and find a 70 heads for they have smaller combustion chambers and the smaller chambers will increase your compression ratio a bit. These heads are hard to find for they only made them for a year before they went to the larger 58 CC heads. Only suggestions and good luck.
    Also, keep an eye on this forum, you will find that a lot of the folks here are well versed on AMC motors and do not be afraid to ask questions.

Default yeah

thanks for the tips. its kinda of a father son project (im 16) and my dad thinks a 401 might be a little too much ponies for me. i am however planning on maybe a roller cam i think its called and definently a 4 barrel carb. im sure in one of these forums i could find a suggestion. something i was wondering about but didnt see covered in the forums was, can an amx hood fit my 69 javelin??

thanks

Talking AMX Hoods

Yep, a AMX hood will fit the Javelin. I believe they can be interchanged between 68 thru 69. Seen a 69 Javelin mod pak car with a AMX hood on a while back and it made the whole front of the car look different. At first I saw the car from the front and thought it was a AMX until I got a profile of the car. Nice looking car it was. These hoods will only interchange for 68 and 69, do not know about the 70 hoods.

what other wild body parts are available/ where can i find them?

Post Body Parts

The following items can be interchanged between the AMX and the Javelin:
    Hoods
    Trunk lids 68-74 Javelin and AMX lids are the same no matter what year you snag one from.
    Rear Valance: This part is also interchangable between AMX and Javelin 68-74
    Rear Bumpers: Same bumpers between cars 68-74 Javelins and AMX's (68-70)
    I believe that the front windsheilds are the same
    Door skins are the same, but the internals are somewhat different.
    68-69 Dashes are somewhat the same between the Javelin and AMX
    Also, various vendors have fiberglass fenders, patch panels available. A good site to get the info you need would be AMCLives.com or Kennedy American.
    I have only touched on a few items here and others could tell you more than I can. Check this forum for further details. Got a lot of people more knowledgable than myself.