Threaded View

Question 70 Javelin Suspension Rebuild

Thanks in advance for any help! I think my 70 Javelin is in need of a suspension rebuild. Does anyone have a good reference for getting this done? I have the 69 tech manual - but from what I'm reading that was the old suspension and doesn't apply to my car. EDIT - I just ordered the 1970 tech manual!! FINALLY - it will be a very good resource for this.

I'm figurin this rebuild needs to be done but maybe you all can give me some guidance. I came to this point after a looong period of having the car sit in the driveway with no use. After getting it running again I found that the steering wheel would shimmy back and forth at ~35mph. I got home and jacked up one side of the car and was able to move the raised front tire side to side about an inch (maybe 1.5"). All the ball joints on the control arms etc moved all over the place. The vertical play (upper and lower ball joints) is fairly minimal - I've repalced those joints a few years back. The front end (idler/pittman/tie rod etc) is about 15 years old (my Dad had it rebuilt by Sears back when I was in high school).

I'd like to do this myself this time and would like to get this front end fixed for good - i.e. do it right and maybe even upgrade it a bit. The car already has front and rear sway bars - but they are generic - not the supped up ones I've read about on this forum. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Super Ry; 03-09-2006 at 12:25 PM.