Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 1968 Javelin SST 390

I have a 1968 Javelin. It has badges on it that say Javelin, SST, and 390. My problem is, all the other sites seem to stick to the idea that you could not get a 390 in 1968 unless it was in an AMX. There is nothing on the car that would lead me to believe it is and AMX. Do I actually have a 1969 and the title is wrong. I have owned this car for 20 years now, and never thought of it as a rare combination, but now I don't know.

The confusion comes from the release date of the 390. AMC wanted to introduce the 390 as the "AMX 390". So, it wasn't released for use in any model until after the AMX introduction in February, 1968. Which means any AMC, including the Javelin, could NOT be ordered with a 390 prior to Feb, 68. Javelins built from Sept. 1967 to Feb. 1968 were available with engine options up to the 343. After the AMX was introduced in Feb. all models could be ordered with the new "AMX 390". Your Javelin was one of the cars built between Feb. '68 and Aug. 1968 with the 390 replacing the 343 as top option.

Question

Thank you for the info. I am curious as to the number that were made with that engine option. Where might I search to find production numbers? Assuming that the records would be that specific.

Default Javelin 390

It is also not uncommon for someone to put a 390 badge on either car when in fact there is a smaller engine under the hood. You must verify the engine block which would have the proper size cast into it.

Check the VIN tag for the correct engine size. The block will just tell you what you have in it now, not what it came from the factory with. The seventh digit in the VIN should be an X if it is a 390 car.

Question 390 Motor

I know that it does not have the original motor in it. It currently has a 304 out of a '72 javelin in it. Value wise is it worth it to track down the numbers matching 390, or just to have a 390 back in it?

Default Javelin 390

I'm new to this sport but I believe that there is not such thing as a numbers matching engine with our AMCs. Other mfg, like Chevy did so with their engines and trannys----the only thing we have is the vin number saying what size engine it was born with but any 390 would fit the bill. The valve cover tag also gave engine size and date info, but being it was screwed on it could be moved from car to car. It would be best to have a 390 if that is what the vin called for in my opinion.

Question dumb question

This is going to sound pretty dumb...a buddy of mine just got a rebuilt 390 for his '68 Fairlane. With all the talk of AMC taking advantage of whatever was out there, would a Ford 390 fit in my car if I can't find an AMC..or are they one and the same?

AMC engines are Faster than Ford engines, so you would have to modify your car to run slower to get a huge Ford Block in it! Just kidding .
    AMC designed and made their own stuff, they didn't just use whatever was out there.

Quote Originally Posted by fivemirrors
    This is going to sound pretty dumb...a buddy of mine just got a rebuilt 390 for his '68 Fairlane. With all the talk of AMC taking advantage of whatever was out there, would a Ford 390 fit in my car if I can't find an AMC..or are they one and the same?
    No. They're not even close. No offense meant but I wonder if your friend thinks Chevrolet bought Ford 302s to put in their 1969 Z-28 Camaros simply because they both are 302 cid?