Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb modern handeling

has anyone ugraded to an air suspension? if so, how did you do it?

Your best bet for upgrading your suspension is the Gymkhana Bar Pack. Race proven over decades. You'll notice an immediate improvement. Worth every penny.
    See www.amx-enterprises.com for info

that more of a traction bar then a suspension kit. i want upgraded springs and shock absorbers. i will still get that whatever kit, i cant spell it, but i would like a modern shock/spring combo. what i understand is that an airbag is a superior suspension, but obviously there are no airbag suspensions available for amc.

The traction bar is part of your suspension. So yes it is a suspension upgrade. And from what I hear, that kit will do better than any spring/shock upgrade. That still does not mean you can't put new shocks on it.

Talking yeah

it does sound like exactly what i want. ive said it in other threads but ill repeat it here in saying, im not worried so much about historical accuracy, just making a beautiful muscle car with modern performance and better than modern torque

Default i showed my dad

i gave my dad a copy of the suspension pack advertisement and he seems to have interpreted like i did, as just a sway bar kit. he and i both think that i will still need to upgrade shocks and springs. someone please explain!

Quote Originally Posted by sstlover666
    i gave my dad a copy of the suspension pack advertisement and he seems to have interpreted like i did, as just a sway bar kit. he and i both think that i will still need to upgrade shocks and springs. someone please explain!
    If you don't understand what a bar pack will do, you need to do some research. The bar kit comes with an "AMC Handling" booklet that has some useful information.
    I'm not sure what you're planning to do with this car but you might want to decide that first and then decide how much money you want to throw at it.
    You can do all the work you want on it but it still won't handle like a modern sports car or race prepared car.
    The book "The Unfair Advantage" by Mark Donahue has a lot of good information about the suspension bits they used (rising rate springs, etc.) and it's a good read overall.
    There are modern shocks available from Edelbrock and KYB.
    It sounds like you have unlimited funds so give Koni a call. They'll custom make shocks for your application for $300-$500 per wheel.
    These guys http://www.classicone.com/wsc/catalog/amc/amc_per1.htm
    told me they've developed a coil-over set up for the 68-69 AMX/Jav but not selling it yet. You may be able to work with them on something. They also have disc brake conversions front and rear.

Good luck.

Default lol

funds are hardly unlimited, i just want to know the best way to do it. im not planning on turning a 69 javelin into an 06 corvette, i like it for what it is but i would just like to improve apon it a little to make it safer and more enjoyable to drive. thanks for your help

Truthfully, if you are going to road race the car then by all means spend the money and upgrade the suspension. If you are not going to road race it, why bother. Get some new gas shocks and call it good. Use your money in more constructive ways for the car (ie paint and body) Don't waste your money with something you won't use. I have a 68 Javelin with some very old shocks and it is still very fun to drive.

10. Default sounds good!

yeah ive got alot of body work just to get it back to original, not to mention the modifications i am making. and disc brakes wont be cheap, so saving some money on suspension is just what i need. thanks for help