Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I second what bigbad68 suggests; new gas shocks and some decent tires will make a big difference. KYB's are good shocks for the money, I haven't heard feedback on Edelbrocks. You can always upgrade the suspension at a later date as funds become more available.

2. Default ok

that sounds like it should work

Default Newer isn't always better

I posted something to the other thread about air bags. Don't let what you see in Chevy magazines and TV shows taint what you need to know about building a safe,reliable, and affordable machine. Just because some technology is a little dated doesn't necessarily make it obsolete. Remember, guys like Mark Donohue and Wally Booth were pushing boundries in these old AMC designs that even '06 Corvettes would have still have difficulty keeping up with. I am not saying the AMC technology was better, just that it will do almost anything you'll probably be doing. Gonna go Fast, Check out Tony and Rhonda Zamisch's 'Great White' Javelin or Jim Weyand's 'Thumper' AMX.
    Don't get sucked into giant marketing machine, New and Improved doesn't always mean that something is actually New or that it has been really Improved.
    For example, Chevy Muscle cars had tiny, whimpy brake setups (even on the verge of being dangerous) as standard equipment, so everybody now thinks they gotta have giant 13 inch, cross drilled, vented Titanium Disc brakes with eleven-teen piston calipers and of course, an anodized set of aluminum pedals for your feet. In my opinion, A properly setup front/rear all drum AMC brake system, with its larger drums, shoes, and hydraulics will out stop a similar year Camaro, even with optional front discs.( I read a Brake Test Shoot-out article somewhere that proved this).
    Hi-Tech is cool, but for reliabilty and cost, the AMC engineers already did the Reasearch and Developement for you. Don't sell them short, unless they ended up later working at GM

4. Default

this is a really good opinion. i think that as a young man i am often attracted more to what looks cool than to what is tried and true, though, i pride myself in fixing up an amc, wheras my friends spend their money on toyotas. i am after all just building a beefy street machine, not a racer. in concept airbags is a cool idea but in execution it could lead to alot of fabrication which might wind up with the same performance as the regular shocks.

Default use a ford, leaf a chevy

Did I get back to you on using a Air Ride kit for the front designed for a late '60's Mustang? Are you working with a 70-up AMC suspension, it is basically the same as What Ford used. I bet the application for the 67-70 Mustang might even bolt right in. the same might be said about the rear suspension, about using the application for the rear of 67-69 Camaro, I have'nt checked anything out, but since they both use the same shock absorbers and have similar geometry.

Exclamation hair ride?

save your money,put sway bar kits front and rear with gas shocks and your car will handle.air bags are mostly used by those wanting to "slam" their cars down low.this causes suspension angles to change and also limits travel so when the suspension "bottoms out" the shock is transmitted to the hard parts of the suspension-not good.now a coil over suspension is good but very costly and it is more often used for drag racing to reduce weight and improve launch(4-link rear).a driver car needs suspension that works in the real world(dips,potholes,rough roads)and that is what is on your car now.i watched that "muscle car" TV show where they removed the torsion bar set-up and installed air bags to the upper shock mounts.this part of the car is not made to carry the weight of the car even with the "reinforcements" they installed.(dodge challenger).if the air bag goes exactly where the spring is,that is good.if is uses the upper shock mount,i would hesitate.remember in the days of air shocks many a car had the air shocks break through the body on the rear of uni-body cars(amc is uni-body).if you really do have you heart set on air bags anyways,expect lots of fabrication to make it work.

7. Default to be honest

to tell the truth it was really just a curiosity.

there are tons of parts out there for cameros that i wish were for javelins. me thinking about airbags was mostly just about me wanting more than what i can get. from what i hear the gas shocks are excellent and they are probably what i will use. right now the car hasnt been touched in about two weeks and im still looking for my suspension and brake parts. (i am converting to 4 wheel disk from four wheel drum)