Thread: Cooling systems

Exclamation Cooling systems

i look through jegs alot and the aluminum radiators really catch my eye. visually they dont look to be much different than the one i pulled out of my 69 javelin. im wondering if any of these radiators would work, im sure i would have to custom mount them, but mechanically would they work? and i would like to repeat this question for electric fans, they seem to have a big advantage over regular fans

yes anything can be made to fit as long as the size is right,but for what you would spend you could have your radiator re-cored.as for electric fans you would need to put in a relay and an adjustable temp sensor switch because you would not want your fans not to turn on untill high temperatures like a newer car.and since electric fans draw lots of amps i would not advise splicing into the fuseblock since amc did not make provisions for high amperage accessories.

Default what?

im 16 and pretty inexperienced in the automotive world, what is a fuse block? is that like a wiring harness? because i plan on getting a new, universal, wiring harness

donsjave wrote an article on radiators here:
    http://www.amx-perience.com/American...light=radiator
    though he doesn't go into aluminum radiators he tells of what he did to improve cooling in his car.

A fuse block is basically the "distribution center" for the vehicles electrical system. Older vehicles used a cylindrical glass and steel fuse. Newer vehicles use either a maxi, or mini blade-style fuse. In general, older vehicle fuse blocks are located under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

Thanks that definently does help and that article does give me something to think about. under-hood i am not too worried about looking stock. my father and i have discussed the possibilities of a new radiator or getting mine re-cored. its my viewpoint that for the extra money a 2 month old new radiator is more efficient than a 38 year old one that wasnt outstanding in its day. i know most guys here are all about keeping it amc but i just want to make it cool and bring some local guys over from the dark side (bowties-mustangs). thanks for the help!