Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Brand

Default Tire Brand

In 1969 for the AMX was the E70X14 Goodyear Polyglass GT white letter tire ever used? Or were they all red lines?

AMX tires in 1969: E70 x 14 wide profile fiberglass-belted black side wall with 6" width wheel rims or, with Go-Pack, E70 x 14 red-line fiberglass-belted wide aspect tires.

Default Hemmings Muscle Machines Shows/lists the Big Bad Orange 69 with .....

F70X14 Goodyear Polyglass Gt white letters. Is that an error?
    Last edited by GMan; 04-23-2006 at 06:59 PM.

Wink

Late '69s came with the white letter.

Default Where they E70s or F70s and were they Goodyear polyglass?

Where they in late 69 E70s or F70s and were they Goodyear polyglass Gt's?

Thanks
    Last edited by GMan; 04-23-2006 at 09:11 PM.

July 24 I think was the date that AMC made a running change from redlines to white letter Goodyear Polyglass. I have seen the factory memo but didnt write down the date.[should have but didn't so the date is my best recalection] Hope this helps.

Default Great, how can I tell the build date of the car? and

with that running change, was the size the same, E70X14? Not F?

To the best of my recolation it was E70/14.

Default AMC Build Dates

AMC didn't really kept track of the build dates on the cars and thus we AMCers can not really say for sure. If you have the build sheets in the car under the seats and or carpet, they may say. However after 30 years, I doubt that you could read them if they are still there. The way I figured it on my Javelin was that I still had the small metal tag that was attached to the passenger side valve cover. There is a numerical code that is stamped on the tag and it tells you the exact date that the engine was completed by the engine shop. I have been told by the people who worked on the assembly line that the engines were installed in the car within about 10 to 14 days. Add this time to the numerical code that is on the tag and this will get you within a day or so of when the car rolled out of the assembly line. The other way was that AMC affixed a sticker on the drivers side door and within the sticker it gives the month and year that the car was assembled. Minus that sticker, the only other option you have is the engine tag on the valve cover.

Quote Originally Posted by dpc502
    July 24 I think was the date that AMC made a running change from redlines to white letter Goodyear Polyglass. I have seen the factory memo but didnt write down the date.[should have but didn't so the date is my best recalection] Hope this helps.
    Interesting topic and I did some research to expand on it a bit in further detail. Having never seen or heard of any AMC in 1969 being offered with RWL tires (doesn't mean they didn't exist, only personal observations) I contacted three AMC historical and tech advisors to the site. Each was contacted independently and without knowledge of others being contacted. All three replied with similar responses.

No one doubts the validity or sincerity of dpc502's recollection of the memo or its date. But AMC did not offer Raised White Letter tires in 1969 on any model. The date of the July memo coincides with the end-of-model year for 1969. The 1970 models were due in showrooms in September of 1969. For the cars to be delivered on time they would need to be allow time for the retooling of the factory, manufacturing of the new model year vehicles and distribution of those vehicles. In those days that took 4-6 weeks. No 1969 cars were produced after the beginning of July, they were only finishing what they had on the line for 1969.

The memo dated in July would have been referring to a running change in tires for the soon-to-be-out 1970 models, not for any remaining 1969 vehicles.

In this case, and according to my sources, I would say Hemmings has made an error if they list a 1969 AMC being available with RWL tires.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't put them on your car if you prefer the looks of them over others. Only that if you are doing a correct restoration RWL tires would result in a deduction of points.

Edit: In fairness to Hemmings the article doesn't specifically state that a 1969 Big Bad Orange AMX was originally available with factory RWL tires. In reference to the featured AMX in the article it does state:

"The car now has two sets of wheels and tires-one set for driving and one set using the original Magnum 500s and bias-plys."

Last edited by Big Bad AMX; 05-05-2006 at 02:17 PM.