Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default confused on the coil

i went to buy a new coil for my 68 amx 390 automatic and when they brought it out , on the side of the coil it said to use with an external resistor ?? i have never seen a resistor on this car does it have one ?? i traced the wire from the coil and it goes into the firewall and no resistor in site ?? is it under the dash ?? i thought it took just a plain 12volt coil .. i didn`t want to buy the wrong item so i`m double checking .. can someone clear this up thanx ..

Default coil ??

does a 1968 amx use a coil that uses an extrenal resistor ?? if so where is this resistor at ?? i need a new coil and want to get the correct one thanx

Default external resistor

it is built into the wire that goes from key switch-special type of wire refered to as primary resistance wire,that is why another lead comes off the starter solenoid and goes to the positive side of the ignition coil.these wires can break down over time especially when using high energy ignition systems.the lead from the solenoid gives full 12 volts when cranking and the resistance wire gives about 9 volts.this was done to give ignition points a longer lifespan (less pitting/burning).if you are running a HEI system that requires a full 12 volts then i suggest you change this wire from the coil all the way back to the key switch.i know first hand what happens when you have this problem,the car will start cutting out and misfiring almost like a dying coil or loose connection,or when the wire completly breaks down,it will only run when the starter is cranking the engine,as soon as you release the key it dies