Default Ignition key lock cylinder

Howdy All,
    New Javelin owner here and trying to get the thing a little more 'pristine'. Anyway, I bought a set of door and ignition locks, but can't figure out how to remove the old ignition lock in the steering column. Help!!

First remove the steering wheel. Next you should see the large plate that is slotted around the perimeter, this is the steering lock plate. It is held on by a round snap ring, it is also splined and spring loaded from its underside. There is a special tool that goes where the steering wheel nut fits. you screw it down with the steering wheel nut and it compresses the lock plate down a bit and allows you to remove the round snap ring. You then loosen the nut slowly and release the spring tension. Slip the lock plate off and you should find a flat head phillis screw above the lock. Remove this screw and you can pull the lock assembly. Put in the new one and reassemble in reverse order.
    Art

74 Javelin

Default Well I got it out

Thanks for the help Jav 360. Not exactly what you described, but I got it out. Next issue is...the gear/mechanism that the lock cylinder connects to seems to have missing teeth. I only have one 'tooth' that actually connects with the 'slider' on top. This would explain why the starting circuit doesn't activate. Anyway, is there a trick to removing/replacing that 'gear', or am I stuck with a remote starter bypass set up. If I can replace it, does anybody have one or know where I can get one?

Thanks for the help.

It can be replaced because I had the same problem with an AMX. It has just been 20 years since I had the problem so I don't recal how I got it out.

You may be able to get one from a GM coulum. Some of the parts are the same.
    Art

74 Javelin

I had to take my steering column apart today because I couldn't get the key to turn properly. It turned out that there was nothing wrong. I had just bumped the part of the outer column that rotates and once I rotated it back into place everything worked as it should.

This is what I had to do.

Remove everything as you had to previously. Then remove the blinker arm by unscrewing the phillips screw. Unscrew the tilt lever if you have one and unscrew the flasher knob. At the base of the column seperate the large wire connectors that hook the column wiring to the wiring harness.

Remove the 3 phillips screws holding the blinker switch assembly in place. You should be able to gently slide the the switch assembly up. You should see 3 large silver phillips screws ( mine are #3 phillips ) remove these. There should be one more small phillips screw visible. Lossen it and back it almost all the way out.

Now you should be able to slide the blinker switch and the part of the column upwards exposing the gear and rack that need attention. There is a small cover that should slip out. The Rack is alum and should be okay. You will see a plastic gear with a spring and snap ring. Remove the screw you loosened and the spring. Be careful with the spring as it is connected to the column lock bolt. Remove the snap ring and you will be able to push the shaft through the gear. You can then remove the broken gear.

I think I got my replacement from American Performance Products. The shaft hole was a bit undersized on the flats and I had to file the flats down on the key shaft a bit to get it to slide in. The last part will make sense when you get everything apart.
    Art

74 Javelin