Hybrid View

1. Default Interior noise barrier and heat barrier

I thought that I would post some pictures of the sound barrier and heat barrier that I recently installed in my '74 Javelin AMX. The materials and process that I used included:

- stripping and cleaning the interior
    - coating with Herculine bed liner as a sound deadener
    - laying down a layer of rubber matting for additional sound deadening
    - laying down a layer of Rerflectix as a heat barrier

These are some picture:

Next, I'm going to remove the front dash and replace the instruments with the tic-toc instruments I bought and also do the necessary work to get the air conditioner working again.

I'll keep the original AM radio and it will use the speaker in the front dash.

I'm also going to be totally removing the back seat and put stereo components back there (sub-woofer, amps, a bunch of speakers, and stereo). They'll all be installed in a elegant panel that I'll match with the rest of the interior.

Let us know the improvement in interior noise and temps when you get it finished. I bet there's a big improvement.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad AMX
    Let us know the improvement in interior noise and temps when you get it finished. I bet there's a big improvement.
    just wanted to provide an update on the project. i've now sealed off the trunk noise by fabricating a sound barrier made of 3/4" mdf material with reflectix glued to it. on the side that faces the inside of the trunk, i've put some sound deadening material as well. for the presents shelf, i also fabricated a sound barrier using 1/4" mdf with reflectix. i noticed last night that the speaker cover on the presents shelf still rattles, so i figured i should put some sound deadening material there. just have to be careful that it is not so thick that the shelf cover doesn't fit any more.

i've also decided to take off the interior side panels where the back seat was. when i tap on them, there are rattles and a bit of a "tinny" sound. it could use some increased density there as well.

the sound inside the cockpit seems to be much more pure. by that i mean, less of the trunk, rattle and road noise, and more engine rumble. since it's winter, i can't really say anything about heat, but i presume that the reflectix will reduce that when summer roles around.