Thread: Trunk Lid lock

Default Trunk Lid lock

Any one know where I can gat a lock mechanism for my trunk lid? Mine has the linkage, but I need the lock cylinder to match up to it.

I got one off of Ebay for about 30 bucks.
    Art

74 Javelin

I don't know this for sure, but my 1970 trunk lock, which is basically a lock cylinder with a cam attached via an E-clip, appears to be the same as any AMC lock cylinder.
    I base this just on a visual check I did a while back at the local U Pull parts yard. It looked like I could use a door lock cylinder from a Corcord or Eagle, I would just had to swap the cam on the back. Now this is just a guess because I have'nt tried it yet. Also this does'nt take into account of the Square key vs. Round key issue, Most all my cars have had worn cylinders and the Square key has usually worked in all door, ignition and trunk/hatch locks. On that subject, what is it suppose to be? Square for door and ignition and round for trunk and glovebox? I guess I could open a TSM and check, but since this post is about locks, Maybe someone could chime in with the proper/correct key application?

Square peg, round hole scenario?

Post The Keys Fit?

The square key fits the door locks and ignition switch. The round key fits the Glove box, the console lock (if it came equipped with one), the rear trunk lid or hatchback lock if it's a Hornet or something. Second thing, I have found that the door locks can be moved around to the rear trunk lid if you switch the back of the locks with the tab that hits the internal trunk release. They are both held in place with a snap ring. I also have found that a decent locksmith can help with the lock cylinders themselves by re-keying the lock to match the key for the trunk (if you have one). Or just key everthing to match one key. Costs vary on what you want, just that I found it a whole easier to keep track of 2 keys verus that of a key for each lock. Just imagine if you will, a key for each lock on the car, how many locks do you have 5 or 6. Just hope you don't have to be in hurry or something.

Kennedy carries locks pretty cheap