Thread: Shifter handle

Default Shifter handle

When I purchase this car in 99 the Top portion of the shifter was broken. The previous owner had ordered a replacement used shifter with the 4 attatching posts intact and a repo handle assembly. I assembled the shifer parts and installed it in the car. It was a hot day and the inside of the car got very very warm. I went out the next dar and found the piece that you pull up on had came out. I found this odd as it wasn't deformed at all. I feel what happened is it got very hot and became pliable.The return spring forced it out of it's housing and it landed on the console. As it cooled it returned to it's original shape. I was then back to square one. It would do me no good to re-install the part so I got creative and machined a replacement part from billet aluminum.

You can see it in this picture. I have plans to machine the top part later on and maybe engrave Javelin in it.

http://adw.go-gbs.com/IMG_1975-1.jpg
    Art

74 Javelin

Default Handles

From what I could see of it, looks good. This is just an idea and I have used this on another Javelin. The spring inside the top portion of the handle could be too strong for the application. What I did was to find a weaker spring at the local hardware store and used it. Still working good after 5 years of use and the handle has never just popped up on it's own.