Thread: brake light on

Default brake light on

I just purchased 1970 javelin. 43000 original miles. Extremely happy. Problem is brake light remains on, can't seem to locate problem. Unplug the wire from park brake, ran a new ground. Still will not go out. Any ideas

Do you mean the parking brake on the dash stays on ???or your brake lights stay on?

Smile Parking brake lite on?

If you are talking about the brake lite on the dash staying on, I could be of some help since my 71 Javie has the same problem and the remedy was simple in that I simply disconnected the wire.
    If you look on the passenger side of the firewall, below the heater blower motor you will see a block that has your front and rear brake lines on it. In the center of it you will see a wire that is connected to the top of the block. This block was used to measure the difference in brake line pressure from the master cylinder to the brakes. If you encountered a problem with the brake cylinders front or rear and there was a difference in line pressure this would trip the block in either direction (internally inside of the block) and thus the light on the dash would come on. The simple solution would be to recenter the plunger inside of the block by unscrewing the the top where the wire plugs into and recenter it by pressing on the brake pedal. With age, these blocks will become unfunctioning and you have to replace it. The problem here is that no one makes a replacement for these blocks. So what I did was simply unplug the wire and the brake lite on the dash should go out. Even with the plunger inside the block off centered, it will not affect your braking. Just another inconvience to deal with.