How did they prepare the Javelin bodies used in the Trans Am series?
What I am actually trying to get at is this, the 1970 Javelin driven by Mark Donohue, (Car#6 of course), has unique Flared front fenders, and the entire Rear quarter panel appears to have a graceful, full length, bulge to it.

When you look at it , one can really see the direct affect the fender flare modifications on the '70 T/A cars had on the redesigned '71- up production cars. The way a Late model Javelin looks from above, to me, is the ultimate in Automotive design!

The few pictures I have seen of the earlier 68-69 Kaplan prepared Javelins show a body more similar to the actual production Javelins, Body flare-wise.

I think I have also seen pictures of 1970 Javelin race cars with the more standard production car body line, but I am not positive on that.

How did they accomplish flaring those rear quarters? Was the sheetmetal used from factory production cars and messaged to the race car shape, or were the Race car bodies 'Hand built' by the teams?

Does anyone even know what I am asking here? I have an idea of how I would try to do it, but I am not an experianced auto-bodyman. Not that I would hack up my '70 Javelin, especially when it would be a smarter move to just get a '71-up Javelin if I want more flare to my fenders.

That leads me to another question, On the '71-up Race Cars, Is the sheetmetal production or custom? Again, the WheelWell radius appears to have been messaged for tire clearence. Anyone have the details?