Default 1970 Javelin T/A RaceCars

How did they prepare the Javelin bodies used in the Trans Am series?
    What I am actually trying to get at is this, the 1970 Javelin driven by Mark Donohue, (Car#6 of course), has unique Flared front fenders, and the entire Rear quarter panel appears to have a graceful, full length, bulge to it.

When you look at it , one can really see the direct affect the fender flare modifications on the '70 T/A cars had on the redesigned '71- up production cars. The way a Late model Javelin looks from above, to me, is the ultimate in Automotive design!

The few pictures I have seen of the earlier 68-69 Kaplan prepared Javelins show a body more similar to the actual production Javelins, Body flare-wise.

I think I have also seen pictures of 1970 Javelin race cars with the more standard production car body line, but I am not positive on that.

How did they accomplish flaring those rear quarters? Was the sheetmetal used from factory production cars and messaged to the race car shape, or were the Race car bodies 'Hand built' by the teams?

Does anyone even know what I am asking here? I have an idea of how I would try to do it, but I am not an experianced auto-bodyman. Not that I would hack up my '70 Javelin, especially when it would be a smarter move to just get a '71-up Javelin if I want more flare to my fenders.

That leads me to another question, On the '71-up Race Cars, Is the sheetmetal production or custom? Again, the WheelWell radius appears to have been messaged for tire clearence. Anyone have the details?

The sheet metal on the Kaplan Trans-Am racer Javelins was hand hammered in order to fit racing rubber. No other "cosmetic" reasons. The 1968/9/70 Trans-Am Javelin racecars had zero influence on the 1971 to 74 Javelins. AMC VP Dick Teague told us years ago the humped fenders came from a 1968 Corvette the AMC Styling Studio was allowed to buy to study. Flaring fenders by race teams was standard practice from the 1950s. Under Trans-Am rules, all bodies had to be production bodies reworked within rules. They were not hand-built, but were hand-modified.

I figured as much, when it came to the hammer to fit method.

I am surprised to hear about the Corvette thing, though. I am always defending AMC when some Cheby dude says that AMC just used The Big Three parts, ideas, engines and what not. Setting them straight that AMC did their much own thing (and then some!).

I was more curious of the rear flaring more than the front on the 1970 TA cars. The Race cars might not have had anything to do with the redesign of the later Javelin, but similaraties in the broader,wider rear stance led me to think that.

I know that Richard Teague was the Man behind the original AMX, and that he was responsible for much of AMC design. Who was the main Man behind the Javelin, or was that a group effort working off the ProjectIV concepts? Also, Was there any individual responsible for the later Restyle of the Javelin, I know Richard Teague didn't want to let the original Two seater concept go, But was there any one particular Man responsible for the main concept/package of the later style?

Quote Originally Posted by RGBJavelin
    I figured as much, when it came to the hammer to fit method.

I am surprised to hear about the Corvette thing, though. I am always defending AMC when some Cheby dude says that AMC just used The Big Three parts, ideas, engines and what not. Setting them straight that AMC did their much own thing (and then some!).
    AMC had plenty of firsts in the industry. Most of them AMC is not given credit for and many are in use industy wide today.

"Right from the beginning, American Motors and its predecessors have been in the vanguard of progress and performance.

In 1901, American Motors cars introduced the first steering wheel. The 1902 Rambler was one of the first mass produced autos in the world, logging a sales record of 1500 its first year.

American Motors cars were also the first with an enclosed rear deck for luggage and with rubber mounted engines.

Giant strides were made in the auto industry through AM-introduced single-unit construction for car bodies, floor to roof rustproofing, reclining seats, adjustable head restraints, seat belts, and molded ceilings to cut noise.

The U.S. car industry was forced into another revolution in 1950 when the Rambler compact was placed on the market to give motorists more economy and value at lower prices."

And AMC was also the first with the mini-spare and injection molded dash.

Chrysler made a big deal about "their" revolutionary "cab forward design" - AMC called it the Pacer. And of course there's the Hummer. The GM guys can try to claim it as their own but AMCers know it was AM General (a wholly owned subsiderary of AMC) that designed, manufactured and sold the Hummer to the U.S. Military. It wasn't until General Motors bought out AM General that they could stick their label on it and call it "their own". There's other examples as well but that's a good start.

I know that Richard Teague was the Man behind the original AMX, and that he was responsible for much of AMC design. Who was the main Man behind the Javelin, or was that a group effort working off the ProjectIV concepts? Also, Was there any individual responsible for the later Restyle of the Javelin, I know Richard Teague didn't want to let the original Two seater concept go, But was there any one particular Man responsible for the main concept/package of the later style?
    I don't know which, or if, a specific individual was responsible or if it was a team effort.

Don't forget about the first four wheel drive car