Thread: 5 speed ?

Default 5 speed ?

Is there a 5 speed that will or should I say can replace a T-10. Just throwing it out there in case someone has any info on the subject.
    blurat....ahh, in my 68 AMX
    Last edited by blurat; 11-20-2006 at 03:54 PM. Reason: more info

Lightbulb 5 Speed conversions

First off, I have not done this myself so the information is second hand. I have seen the car that this was done for both sitting still and driving down the road.
    This person took the T-10 4 speed tranny out of his 69 AMX and installed a 5 speed out of a newer model Mustang GT. The following things is what you would need to do the conversion: A bellhousing out of a 4 liter inline 6 cylinder, a 5 speed (out of a V-8 later model Mustang GT), possibly a driveshaft, and some pretty good talent.
    The guy that I spoke to said that the 5 speed and bellhousing will bolt together without problem. The reason that you would want the bellhousing is because it will bolt right up to the back of the block, it uses the same clutch linkage as the old, and the trans will bolt right up to the bellhousing. It will also allow the trans to fit back into about the same place as the trans you are replacing. Since the 5 speed is a top loader as far as shifting is concern, the top of the transmission tunnel will need to be cut in order that the 5 speed shifter can fit. There may be some modification that will have to be done to the crossmember for the tranny, but if needed its minor and easy to accomplish.
    The person that I talked to also said that with the 5 speed, it dramatically reduced his rpm's on the highway and still maintained the lower gears torque that the 4 speeds have. For example with a 3.54:1 rearend and the 5 speed his rpms for the highway went from 3400 down to around 1800 doing 75 mph.Along with the reduction in rpms, he also took a noticable increase in his gas mileage.

Default t5

Thanks for the info, I have been doing a lot of research and the t5 is the one to use, for my budget. I bought a bell on ebay last week and am looking forward to the project. I think it is 12 or 13 in line behind the rest of the projects
    blu