Default 68 which looks like a 70.......

Hello all. I have stumbled upon an AMX I'm interested in purchasing. It is a 68, originally with a 390, 4-speed, twin grip (?) and go pack (?).

Apparently at some point both quarter panels were severely dented. A solid 70 AMX shell donated it's quarter panels and other parts.

Right now the car is a rolling chassis. Zero rust and no indication of bodywork . Paint is fresh (including door jambs and underhood), about a medium metallic green with black stripes down the side. Suspension is rebuilt and detailed. It now looks exactly like a 70 AMX, with the 70 hood, etc. Interior is also complete and new (black) with rim-blow wheel.

Comes with a 401 and 2 T-10 transmissions.

What I'm concerned about is this cars future value. If I purchased it and completed it, the car would be extremely nice, but if I ever decided to sell it I feel it's value would be hurt tremendously as it's truly a 68.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I agree with you.....but there is always someone willing to buy a 70.

If I were looking for a future financial return on the car then I'd pass on this one. Generally these type of modified AMXs only bring 25-50% of the value of a car that's been restored to original, or near original condition. Even though the cost of doing the car "right" really isn't much more. A car closer to stock will also be more appealing to a wider range of buyers and will be easier to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad AMX
    If I were looking for a future financial return on the car then I'd pass on this one. Generally these type of modified AMXs only bring 25-50% of the value of a car that's been restored to original, or near original condition. Even though the cost of doing the car "right" really isn't much more. A car closer to stock will also be more appealing to a wider range of buyers and will be easier to sell.

Very true, but if the AMC market goes the way the Mopar market has people are paying BIG bucks for clones. Could be quite awhile for AMC if that scenerio happens though.

I'll second that

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad AMX