Thread: getting started

Default getting started

hey fella's
    My dad and I have a 72 and 73 amx javelin. The 72 I bought in 90 when I was 14. It was my first set of wheels and I couldnt afford to drive It. It was ROUGH and sat in our barn untill jan 2007. My dad now owns the car and gave me the 73. It took many years to collect all the parts but now we have two complete cars. They just need to be put together. Both cars are AMX 304 3 spds. The 72 has disc front brakes, but the 73 has drums and I need a conversion. I dont like floating single piston calipers is thier a alternative? I would like to do the same to both cars but need direction. If any one can help that would be great! This will get me started but I have many questions!

There are the 4 piston bendix units out there but they are pricey and you would need the proper mounting hardware to go with them.....whats\'s wrong with single piston???.....I like them and Mopar used them on there 6 Pak and Hemi cars.

Other single piston brakes I have had, (late seventies corvettes) had bad pedal preasure or leaking piston seals? the AMX may be better, the 1972 javelin seemed to have good brakes before storage.
    The 73 has drums up front, my 68 chevelle had the same 4 drum set up, and I want to up date this car if I can.
    I have not been able to find the bake adapter that the caliper mounts to yet. I will be happy to get what ever I can get to tell the truth.

I upgraded my brakes on my 68 Javelin from front drums to disc. I went to a junk yard a found a 73 Javelin and pulled the spindle and the mounting hardware for the calipers, single piston ones. I have had no problem with the brakes, they do seem to work just fine. And I have a slightly modified 401 in my Javelin.