Unhappy Broken parts, need help

Hello,

Yesterday I took off the rear wheels to get better access to the brakes. What I found was that both metal rings, which go inside the rims, are broken. Here is how they look like:

Could this be a result of some "look at me I'm so cool" kind of driving, I did some time ago? I looks that both parts got the same amount of overload and broke, so I assume, it is probably a result of some jump starts from the traffic lights.

My rims are Cragars, if that helps, here are few pictures:

Probably repairing these rings is not the best idea? Driving without them is even worse idea? Where is it possible to purchase them?

Thanks

Default broken parts, need help

I have a feeling those cragers you have are the multi-lug type, to fit a varity of lug patterns. The broken parts are spacers, for lack of a better term, to help the wheel fit your lug pattern (probably 4 1/2 if I remember). I have new Crager multi-lug wheels on my '68 AMX(front). While I have always seen the spacers (or washers) on the outside between the wheel and lug nut I guess they could be on the inside but the lug nut would look funny with a gap. I wonder if it is possible it is a spacer to help the offset? If they are just to make it fit the lug pattern then they were proabley "broken" for a reason and I do not think it matters. You can purchase new lug nuts with the proper washer to make the uni-lug wheels work just fine. Check out a web site like Summit racing and check the Crager lug nuts out, you will see the washers/spacers I am talking about. Of course I could be wrong.

Default broken parts

Now that I look at your pictures again I am sure they are just to make the wheel fit your application--put'em back on and let her rip.

Thanks! I think, I will glue them to rims just to make their installation back easier.

all of you are close but not correct.those inserts ARE there to keep the flange from breaking when you tighten the lug nuts-notice how the backside of each lug hole is made for these inserts.whatever you do,make SURE to re-install these completely on EACH lug or risk having the flange break where the lug nuts go resulting in a wheel that might say bye-bye on day.although you may like the look of these wheels,i would suggest a solid wheel.remember the old Keystones in the late 70's with the uni-lug??i worked in a tire shop and we quit selling those types of wheels because of safety issues when the spacer wasn't seated correctly or was left off by the owner if he ever removed his wheels(like you did)and put them back on without being absolutely sure they were seated correctly resulting in a lost wheel at highway speeds!!!!!!!!also make sure you have the CORRECT lug nut for this wheel(very important!).just double check everything because the wrong lug nut may seem to fit OK but may not be securing the wheel to the hub
    Last edited by javelinjeff; 05-12-2007 at 10:47 PM.