Thread: How many left?

Default How many left?

Hey all,
    I'm new here, used to own a '71 Javelin SST (until I wrecked it, still hate myself for that) and have been wanting to get my hands on a '68-'70 AMX ever since.

I recently looked at a '68/343 that was in too sad a shape for me, but it got me thinking... How many are left?

I have the manufacturing numbers for the AMX's produced for the 3 years, but what kind of numbers still remain? Does anyone have a clue?

Luck to you, and hope to again join the AMC ranks soon.
    Rando

Arrow How many are left???

If you were to take the average due to accidents or natural attrition, the answer to your question is not many. In Kenosha, there were estimates that there was only about 75 that showed up at the 2004 event. I was there and the number is about right I guess. I'm talking about the 68-70 models years. My guess is that there is close to maybe 2,000 left in the United States. I am not aware of really anybody that can give you a hard number since some people are not a member of any local or national clubs. Your guess would be as good as mine.

Appreciate the info Don,
    The AMC's had some of the lowest production numbers of all the "Cool" cars. I never could figure out why they didn't have the same popularity of the Mustangs and Camaros and other cars.

I just saw an immaculate 1970 AMX go for close to 25k. If numbers are as low as you think, prices are going to continue to skyrocket.

Thanks,
    Rando

Arrow How many are left???

As donsjave said, there's really no way to tell how many are left. My personal opinion is there are probably 5000-7500 left worldwide with 4,500 to 5,500 in the U.S. This includes all 1968, 1969, 1970 AMXs from low mile premium survivors to restorable rolling tubs. 2000 street licensed AMXs in the U.S. is probably a good guess.

5000-7500 worldwide would equate to roughly a 26% - 39% survival rate which is actually quite high (higher than average) for a 30+ year old muscle car.

Why would I guess that high of a survival rate for the AMX? A couple of reasons:

1) considering that the AMX is a two-seater most of them were not bought to be used as daily drivers but rather as second cars - much like a Corvette or Viper today. Driven regularly yes, but not in bad weather or for family outings.

2) Early on the AMX was seen as a collectible by AMC hobbyists. Over the years when an AMX was wrecked it was likely to be repaired using parts from a donor Javelin. Javelins were much more common and less expensive so many were bought for their parts to save an AMX.

3) Observations at local, regional and national AMC shows generally have the 2-seater AMX as the highest count of any single AMC model - more than Rambler, Javelin, Pacer, Spirit, Gremlin, Hornet, Eagle, etc.

4) Just five years ago I counted the number of AMXs in the county I live in. In just one county (city population 500,000), in one state I knew of 30 2-seat AMXs. These were cars I had seen, not just heard of. How many more are hidden away in back yards, barns, garages, sheds etc?

5) Consider the 24 Australian AMXs. As of this date (2002) they have located 21 of the original 24! Two cars have been wrecked with 19 left and 3 unknowns (cars 15, 19 and 21). That is an incredible survival rate.

As for price trends that is another 'opinion only' question. Over the years AMCs have generally seen a slow but steady climb. They have avoided the peaks and valleys that the other muscle cars have been through.

In the June, 2004 edition of Hemmings Muscle Machines there's an interview with Craig Jackson of Barrett-Jackson Auctions. Based on his successful predictions of the first million-dollar muscle cars they asked what he thought would be the next 'big thing'. Here's a quote from that article "As far as traditional muscle cars, Craig makes some predictions. "The Ford 429 Shotgun Hemi is due for a run. Anything that's an orphan is due: Ram Air Pontiacs, Buick GS Stage cars, even two-seat AMXs are extremely underrated.""

Anything can happen at any time to influence the monetary value of these cars. Buy them and enjoy them because you like them - not for the dollar amount someone else places on them.

Cool How many left

At the Northern Ramblers show last June in Port Perry Ontario, there were 21 or 22 68-70 AMXs. I thought they were rare and wouldnt have guessed that many would appear in one place in Canada.
    Many of those in attendance were in very good condition. Either being restored cars or original.

I think it's a safe bet there are more '68-'70 AMXs surviving than '68-70 Javelins. Even though in production form they are basically the same car in many respects. People saw the AMX as something special and it got 'better treatment'. AMC had that in mind...and it sure seems to have worked even 35 years later.

Lots of pretty decent Javelins got parted out to keep AMXs on the road. Personal taste will dictate how you feel about this in some aspects.

Some will argue the AMX has sporty two seater appeal and short wheelbase. Some will argue the Javelins lines were actually cleaner. It's not a bad debate. They were both fine cars.

Source of data below: Tom Benvie in East Bridgewater, MA

Total production of '68-'69 343 powered Javelins was 16,915. That's not a lot. Think about 35 years of rust...accidents...neglect. How many can be left? 10 percent maybe....12 percent? Compare to Mustang production numbers and the AMC numbers seem almost trivial.

If you have a nice '68-'70 Javelin or AMX or a '71-'74 car....take pride in it!!!
    Whatever it is, it's a rare bird now!

Talking Numbers

Yea, I guess I do have a lot of pride in both of my cars. One is the 71 Javelin SST that I have owned since 1980. This car is my baby and it shows. I have not won many awards with it and yes it fully restored (as much as I can do with it). The biggest problem with it that I have encountered with it is that of the color of the car. It's mustard yellow and some people love it and others hate it. Along with the T stripe on the hood, it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. But I love her anyway. It took me years to get accustomed to the color of it and when I had the body work done on it, I stuck as close to orginial color as I could get and the black T stripe is painted on, not one of those decals. The other car is a 1970 AMX with 390/4 speed and I actually like it. Each car by itself has its good points and its bad. The AMX is pretty much restored now and I like it for it's speed and shear fun of driving it (when I get the chance that is-- most times the wife is driving it).

I agree the 68-70 AMXs are plentyful. I know around me there is close to 30 AMXs. Thats not including the one I see at shows. These are cars that sit in garages and see the light of day 2 or three times a year.
    Andy