Default Oil and water pump problems.

Well I'm finally getting the engine buttoned up on my Javelin and I'm about ready to pull my hair out.

I bought a new water pump and timing chain cover with new oil pump including internals. I installed the timing cover and forgot to put on the oil slinger on the crank and had to pull cover off to put in on. I bolt the water pump on. I then start installing the dampner but the water pump casting is oversized and won't allow the dampner to go on. I dig out the disc grinder and grind the offending areas until I have the proper dampner clearance.

Next I test fit the oil pump gears. The main drive gear fits correctly and the idler slides on but binds up. I pull the gear and notice burrs. I remove the burrs. The gear still binds so I get out some bluing and determine that three of the gear teeth are hitting the pump wall. I carefully dress the teeth with 800 grit sand paper and continue test fitting until the gear no longer binds.

I go pull the filter stud from the old oil pump cover and notice that it is not the same as the new one. The new pump cap has one less hole. I intall the plunger, spring and filter stud in the cover, put in the pump gears and button up the oil pump. I try to pre oil the engine but don't seem to be able to build any pressure. I filled the oil filter with oil but still can't get oil pumping.

I then notice that there is a pinhole leak in the pump cover. I'm going to call the shop I got the parts from but this was part of a larger kit and it has been well over 30 days so I'm probably screwed. I'm going to install the old pump cover and see it it changes anything.
    Art

74 Javelin

Well first thing this morning I start with a fresh attitude.

I cleaned up the old pump cover, installed the new bypass valve spring and installed the old parts that couldn't be installed in the new cover. I bolted everything up, installed a small pressure gauge in the appropriate boss and to many shouts of joy on my part spun the pump and observe close to 60psi. I am very very pleased.

Now to get the motor back in the car.
    Art

74 Javelin

good to hear,was the problem in that "replacement" timing cover?and since you live nearby,,,are you gonna make the show @ irwindale speedway hosted by the SOCAL/AMX on 6-2-07?

Quote Originally Posted by javelinjeff
    good to hear,was the problem in that "replacement" timing cover?and since you live nearby,,,are you gonna make the show @ irwindale speedway hosted by the SOCAL/AMX on 6-2-07?
    The new timing chain cover stayed on the motor it seemed okay. The cover that the oil filter spins onto was the culprit. It had a hole in it and was missing a passage. I cleaned up the old piece and installed it and everything worked okay.

I won't make Irwindale. The entire front clip is removed from the car so I can replace all bushings and detail everything. I'm shooting to have the car ready for Hot August Nights.
    Art

74 Javelin