Red face ignition switch question, please help!

on my 72 javelin sst, it has the steering column that has the little thing that you hold down while you turn to take out the key. my issue is that my gen light stays on when i turn it off. i usualy blame the diode at this point but i think that the ignition switch is still on. my question is how many positions does the switch have when you have this type of column, to turn the engine off you have to press the lever to get the switch to go far enough to turn it off, does it have the normal "this is clockwise" lock, off, run, start. please let me know, i am getting very tired of disconnecting the battery every time i park it!
    AMC American Muscle Car!!!

i love them AMC door handles!!!

it sounds like your ignition switch is not turning off.the actual switch is down on the top of the steering column above the pedals controlled by a rod that goes up to the lock cylinder(key).but then again you are able to shut off the motor????.it could be that when you turn the key to OFF it is going into ACC mode,or it could be that somehow the wiring has been altered to run constant power through the GEN light that goes to the alterntor.i take it that the GEN light is always on untill the motor is running no matter where the key is turned to???as to your question you have 5 positions on your switch-ACC,LOCK,OFF,RUN,START.ACC is counterclockwise from OFF.this powers radio,turn signals,fan and wipers.(key will not be able to be removed)
    Last edited by javelinjeff; 06-03-2007 at 01:22 PM.

also you should NOT have to press the release lever just to turn off the motor-only to put it in the LOCK position and ACC.