Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default So what about the deck height?

Is there a difference in deck height and if so does it have an effect on the seal for the intake? I have heard the intake story both ways. Thanks, Bill

Default Deck Height

I can tell you that I used the 70 up dogleg port heads on a 69 block with an Edelbrock 69 intake and the front and rear gap for the seals was no different. I did use the gray silicone like newer vehicles instead of the original rubber ones. I did this after lots of research and talking to friends that race. I am pleased with the result although I have yet to start the engine. Just make sure you get the bead thick enough because the gap on newer engines, at least on my 97 GMC pickup, is not as wide.
    I know I said earlier in this thread that I wouldn't open up the two center holes in the intake but I had already purchased the Pro flo system and could not return. I jigged up with a router and it turned out fine. I also understood that if you used a 70 up intake on a 69 block you would have to machine the head mating surfaces on the intake. Should be firing it in a couple of weeks.

Barron

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. Please let me know how it works out.

Default Heads

Quote Originally Posted by Barron
    Hi all, another noob here. I am restoring my 69 AMX that I have had for about 20 years. I have been working on it on and off for the past few years and am ready to start on the engine. I want to use the later model dogleg port heads on the 69 390 block and would like to know what machine work is involved in doing this. I have a set of heads, but don't know the specs on them or what engine they came from. I dry fitted them this afternoon just to see how close everything lined up and they seem to look OK except that the front and rear seal gap btwn the intake manifold and block looks a little wide. The locating bushings are a different size too, apparently for the later model 1/2" head bolts but that is manageable. I was told once that the deck height was different on 70 and up engines but don't have any real data to go on. What needs to be done to the heads or block if anything?

Barron
    DONT BOTHER THE DOG LEG HEADS ARE NOT AS GOOD AS THE EARLY HEADS.IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS YOU CAN GET ME AT FASTESTAMX@AOL.COM
    JOHN