Thread: 1974 amx

Default 1974 amx

Ok i am new here and i guess this is where i should be posting this. I am looking at a 1974 amx for sale that has a 69 390 4spd in it and i am just wondering where you can get major engine parts for it. It runs right now and i have looking and can find a lot of parts but nothing for inside the engine. Can you get crate engines or is there a place to get heads and stuff for it or is it interchangeable with ford or chevy?

Edelbrock has heads and intakes... Pistons can be purchased through ROSS or any piston manufacturer. You gan get just about anything you need to rebuild. Mopar B block engines have the same lifter if you exchange them, and use similar valves but you need to use Mopar keepers. Ford small blocks uses the same rocker ratio for rockers. Though you can get rockers for AMC. No other parts are interchangable for AMC from the big 3.
    Last edited by 304_dude; 08-12-2007 at 09:34 AM.

Default Engines

Quote Originally Posted by 304_dude
    Edelbrock has heads and intakes... Pistons can be purchased through ROSS or any piston manufacturer. You gan get just about anything you need to rebuild. Mopar B block engines have the same lifter if you exchange them, and use similar valves but you need to use Mopar keepers. Ford small blocks uses the same rocker ratio for rockers. Though you can get rockers for AMC. No other parts are interchangable for AMC from the big 3.
    Although AMC V-8 engines can be replaced with various other engine hardware from the Big 3, I have found that there are sources available that sell AMC parts for the internals of the engine. I use a local machine shop here and have been able to find the parts that I need with very little problems encountered along the way. American Performance and Kennedy American do sell rebuild kits and other parts for the engines. Both companies do have internet sites but I have very seldom used them for my engine parts. Although I may pay a little bit more for my parts, I have been more than happy with them and have had no problem with the engines that I have installed them in.
    Interchangabilty between the AMC V-8s should also be a consideration. AMC used the same manifolds, heads, assories(?) on all their engines. The heads of the engines were shared bewteen them (on the 360 and 390, 401) with only minor modifications needed for the 390 (pre 70) using the dog-leg heads. These modifications required the use of a step up dowel for the block on the engine. If using the updated heads, you should also use the exhaust manifolds that are also a better manifold (if you are running stock) in that it has better flow design than the old log type exhaust manifold.
    Have fun with the car and lets us know how its going if you decide to work on your engine.