Default factory tach in a 232

I'm installing a factory tachometer in my 68 SST 232 car - but was told that AMC used a tach built for the inline 6's that won't work in a V8 car and vise versa. Anyone know about this??

never heard of a tach being available on the six,i used a jeep tach thet fit in the clock hole on one years back.look at the back of the tach and see if it MAYBE has 6CYL inked on the back.

I don't see any kind of stamping/stenciling on the back. So it does have to be cylinder-specific tach to work ( meaning: that a factory tach won't work in a six cylinder car if it came from a V8 or other way around )
    Thanks for the help!!

They have to be the same; A V-8 tach won't work on a six, or vice-versa. Though some aftermarket tachs have a switch to select 6 or 8 cyl.

The AMC Tachs were made by Faria in Unkasville, Conn. (not sure if the spelling is correct) and they made a tach for the 6 cyl Javelins that looked like the factory tachs but without an AMC logo. These were sold through JC Whitney for a few years. I don't know if the company is still around and chances of finding one of their 6cyl tachs is probably pretty slim. But you may be able to have your tach modified/rebuilt for your 6 cyl. application by Instrument Services or a similar company.